Sunday, May 3, 2009

Biblical Antioch of Psidia, Laodicea, and then to Pamukkale

Well, today was another grace filled and Spirit filled day. Our morning journey took us to Antioch of Psidia located 1Km northeast of the modern day town of Yalvac. Antioch of Psidia was a capital city for many different cultures because of the economic, military and religious activities of the region. St. Paul gave his first sermon to the Gentiles here (Acts 13:13-52) and visited the city once on each of his missionary journeys helping to make Antioch a center of Christianity in Anatolia. As we approached the city it was apparent this was going to be a special day. We walked on the streets where Paul most likely walked and as we looked down you could see the grooves in the stones of the streets from the chariots and carts of that day. Then we walked to the theatre and listened to the reading from Paul to the Galatians, it was a powerful moment of reflection and grace. Though Paul probably preached in the synagogue, I could only imagine what it might have been like when Paul spoke.
As we approached the end of our walk we came to the Great Basilica (church of St Paul) and gathered for liturgy. What a powerful moment to celebrate the sacred liturgy on the site where St Paul walked. God was truly with us as we broke bread together and shared in the body and blood of Jesus. We are very blessed pilgrims to celebrate the liturgy together in this place.
Our entire day was filled with treasures and grace as we continued on to the city Laodicea and on to Heirapolis where we saw more excavated ruins and saw the famous Pamukkale hot spirings. I will share with you more about these in the entries to come as well as our future sites. Thanks for your prayers and May God's Blessings be with you all.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I know you are fast asleep as it is 6:30pm....one final down one more to go on Thursday. I am enjoying the blog and feel blessed just reading it! I will continue to pray for your safety......Love Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy,
    We will be praying for your final. Be blessed my friend and know that we are praying your intentions every step of the way. What John failed to mention to you in the message from yesterday, was that I had another baptism of sorts. Well Fr. Jerry and I were walking in the hot springs - it's like wading in the water, and I was just telling him to be careful because it was slippery. Well he stepped down into this small trench about - 1- 1.5 ft. deep, and so I raised my skirt a little and lifted my leg, and thought I would try the same. You can imagine the rest. I landed in the trench on my right shoulder and hip, so I was definitely washed in the waters. I'll be sending a message tonight about Ephesus, the House of the Virgin Mary, and the Church of St. John. I miss you my friend, but am glad you are journeying with us.
    In His Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete